Normally the tourists go from Munnar to Thekkady. It’s about 115 Kms. Bus service is also available from Munnar to Thekkady
Direct Bus Service is available from Ecogreen, 198 Kms. Rs. 150/- per head (4 Hours)
Thekkady General Information
- Temperature: -Maximum : 30 C, Minimum : 15.5 C
- Clothing : -Winter: Woolen , Summer: Cotton
- Altitude: – 800 to 1200 meters above Sea Level.
- Rainfall: 2200 mm
- Forest area 777 sq.kms, out of which 360 sq.kms are evergreen forests.
- Lake Area 263 sq.kms
Thekkady Sight seeing
Plantation Eco-Tours are arranged from the District Tourism Information Office at ThekkadyJunction in Kumily. Tours cover cardamom, pepper, coffee and tea plantations, tea factories, tribal settlements and the surrounding hill regions .
Tel. : 91-486-322620.
Main trekking areas in Thekkady : Kurisumala near Kumily, Pullumedu, Ottakathalamedu : 5 km from Kumily, Grampi near Vandiperiyar. The Forest Department conducts daily treks from the boat landing station at Thekkady to the Nellikkampetty area and Manakkavala.
- Starting : 0700 hrs.
- Fare Rs. 10 + entrance fee.
- Booking can be made with the Wildlife Preservation Officer, Thekkady
- Tel. : 322027 322028.
Boat cruises on the Periyar Lake
- 0700, 0930, 1130, 1600 hrs.
- Fare : Lower deck : Rs 25 + 10 ( entrance fee)
- Upper deck : 50 + 10 (entrance fee).
- The forest Department (Contact Ph : 322023) conducts boating trips from Thekkady.
Entrance fee at check post.
Foreigners : Rs. 50 (valid for 3 days) Domestic tourists Rs. 2